Search This Blog

Friday, October 30, 2009

Last Stop.....Ketchikan

Our flight from Anchorage to Ketchikan left at 8am allowing us to see a spectacular sunrise on the many Peaks and Glaciers of the Glacier Bay Park & Wilderness Area along the Alaskan Coastline. Today was my first view of such immense glaciers stretching from mountaintop to Ocean in one expansive and powerful flow.
We flew on the mail route which meant landing in Juneau and Sitka for mail drop off and pick up before making our way to Ketchikan. It is impossible for me to put into words the emotions running through me while looking out the small window from my seat at the many snow covered peaks, glaciers, scattered islands, and thick forests. What I do know is that I will be visiting this wild place many times more in my life somehow. It cannot be experienced or understood in such a short trip. A lifetime couldn't deliver a full understanding of such a place.
After landing in Ketchikan, Linda our local guide and driver picked us up form the airport. We took a quick ferry ride over to the town and up to Nathan Jackson's carving shop. Nathan is one of the world's great totem carvers. His personality fills you with energy making you want to be the best at whatever you do. His contagious laugh is worth the trip to Alaska. We were also gifted with the privilege to see him carve. When brilliance happens before you, it is easy to see. Tomorrow, we will set up at his carving shop and Michael will craft a photograph of Nathan working and living his daily lifestyle. Nathan is also a talented Harmonica player and if we are lucky, he may play for us. I'll try to learn all I can in such a short time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages