Search This Blog

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Wandering with 3 Monks and a Dear Friend....

To be honest, I'm not sure how to talk about this trip or describe it for that matter. It was.......peaceful. Seriously, it was the most peaceful I have felt with a group of humans in the wilderness, ever. I've felt similar peace before in the woods, by myself, but never with a group. When traveling with multiple folks in wilderness there is almost always a discussion going on or an issue that needs attention. Not the case on this trip.

'Equanimity' may be the closest word that express what I felt. Not that I even came close to having equanimity in its true form, but I thought about this topic much while wandering with 3 Theravada Buddhist monks and my good friend Brian. According to Wikipedia equanimity is a state of psychological stability and composure which is undisturbed by experience of or exposure to emotions, pain, or other phenomena that may cause others to lose the balance of their mind. Way above my head, but maybe someday I will at least be able to come close.


Ajahn Sudanto wandering towards Mt. Jefferson. Go here for the entire photo gallery.

Find more information about the monks and the Pacific Hermitage in White Salmon, WA. http://www.pacifichermitage.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages